Thread: My personal thoughts on SS.

Default My personal thoughts on SS.

As I was hammering Manchester United(with Arsenal) 6-1, 60 mins in, the whole game I was thinking about what I was going to write here. As some of you might know I'm not one for very long posts, but I just thought I'd let you all know, and especially Si, how I feel about Sensational Soccer and the loads of potential it has.

As soon as I tried the trial I knew I had to get this. Fast paced action with the in game depth(ability to control your passes and shots just as you want) of NSS3, I knew this one was a winner. For a day straight this was all I played. I tried the league mode, and though it wasn't something I'd spend all my time on(I just do matches =P) I did appreciate how you could increase your team's players stats. This could bring some imagination in - for example, if you feel a player is young and talented, he could get better as you put points in to his skill stats.

The gameplay itself is great, fast paced, and it's a good feeling when you hammer in that 36 yard free kick(as I just did a game before the Man U Arsenal one I'm currently playing{{not finished, it's minimized as I write this, I'm doing this in notepad XD}} with Lampard), or when you get on the one on one and slip it past the keeper. The A.I. on Hard is definately a challenge, but when you get good at it(like I am, of course ) it starts getting easier when you get used to quick passing and using your pace.

Now the ways that I feel this could be improved is more depth in the League mode, such as transfers. This could be for NSS4 as well as SS2(if it's coming) but the better of a manager you are, the higher your "Manager" stat is, as I believe Si mentioned before. Lets say you have a player with high potential, and you're a great manager, voila! Just like in NSS4(from what Si said) your player starts getting better pretty fast.

(Now, Si, I'm writing this when it's late. Please let me know if I got that part wrong. )

Online play, as sooo many others have mentioned before, would also help - take your League team and compete with other teams online!

Some great fun also for me came in creating your own formations. I've created a whole bunch of unique ones(such as 6-2-2) and I try them on different games..some succesful(like 3 def, 2 cm, 2 wingers, attacking midfielder, 2 strikers, abit like 3-5-2 but with wide wingers and CM, which I'm currently using while destroying Man U).

Graphics are nicely drawn in a unique style, abit like NSS3 but they have bigger heads XD.

I don't exactly know where else to go. I was shocked when I heard AfterDeath say that SS1 sales weren't that high. It's a great game and unfortunate. I'd love to see SS2 and I'd probably be one of the first in line to grab it.

As I go back and finish the Arsenal vs. Man U game.. which happily ends Arsenal 8-2, the 8 coming from Hinry(XD), Adebeyor(XD), and Hlib(ing at the names btw) (5, 3, and 1 respectively), I maintain my personal crown of "Teh Awesome SS Playa".

Well, ladies and gentlemen, a conclusion to my post. A great game with so much potential that I hope that it's going to be continued.

Oh, and Si, I'm nearly peeing my pants waiting for NSS4.

This wasn't proofread, so if you don't understand something reply.

Edit : And I just realized I spelt Personal, in the thread title, wrong. Go me! =\
    FIFA love to hate us - Chelsea FC

AfterDeath is offline Used to be liked round these parts. Player Of The Year

Quote Originally Posted by Master Chief123 View Post
    I don't exactly know where else to go. I was shocked when I heard AfterDeath say that SS1 sales weren't that high. It's a great game and unfortunate. I'd love to see SS2 and I'd probably be one of the first in line to grab it.
    Yeah, the trouble about this part is that currently there are other games that do the same concept better, but there aren't any that rival NSS. I like the old-school SS but I think people nowadays would rather pick up FIFA or download other versions - I just don't think it's as appealing to fans as New Star Soccer games are. However much I enjoy the game, it doesn't have the same lure to spend, which is harsh considering the amount of effort Si put in.

To really get the customers rolling I think it needs to become groundbreaking: NSS4's engine with several added features. I think online mode would definitely get people's attention, and allowing, say, two players to control one team online would also be a hit. I also feel that AI is challenging at times but does need to improve with you. Also, clubs from lower leagues will never be played with because their stats impact upon them far too much - players run so slowly and it's almost impossible to score, henceforth they won't be used. They're still good players at their own level, so I feel that needs to be represented as well.

I think SS is an absolutely fantastic game at times, but it does suffer from the fact that there are already so many team-based games out there which I think people would prefer. Personally, I do prefer SS because I enjoy it when I play it, but people always go for the product that attracts them best, and I don't feel SS will get the same attention or lure to customers as an NSS game would. I'm stating my honest opinion on this matter because it is an issue if another game will be brought out. I hope there is an SS2 and if there is everybody will need to advertise it and work for it to make it the best [indie] game of this type.

EDIT: And I'm going to steal that crown off you Master_Chief.

Good post pointing out a lot of things that I missed and some good ideas(Two players at once on one team online! That'd be awesome!)

Speaking of on the clubs from lower leagues never scoring, it sometimes feels as if NSS3 suffers from this too. Some chances are wasted too easily. Lower level clubs(and many high leveled) make it easy to blast a one on one chance wayy over the net, make open nets easy to miss, and then all of a sudden a 35 yard shot flies into the net because you're goalkeeper is horrible. These players are great at their level, I agree, so even when you go into the lower leagues(and especially the higher) some goal chances should be in. It's really common to see such easy chances in SS and NSS3 be absolutely wasted because shooting sometimes is really hard at low levels.

One fantastic bit that I was really happy about is when Si said that you'd be able to control the direction of your shot easier with the new dribbling system, because the ball will be knocked in front so you have time to aim where you're kicking. This would also be great for SS2, not only for the kicking part, but so you can dribble and do fancy stuff. I mean, it'd be so much fun to pass the ball back to Toure and watch him dribble past the whole team, shockingly, and blast the ball into the top corner on the one on one opportunity. Of course, that needs tons of skill and a bit of luck. The one part of sprinting that he showed, with an example from Didier Zokora, would also be fun as you're wildly running around the field.

Also, a small idea, if you pass back to the goalkeeper maybe you could control them too?

Create a Player or Create A Team could be fun, as you recreate your school soccer team, watch them all become super stars, and then suddenly in your manager mode, your best friend Bobby decides to go to West Ham. It's happened to me on FIFA 07 on the 360(which sucks compared to the ps2 and xbox ones)! I looked and my friend Dustin, one of our best players, was starting on Chelsea!! With an overall of about 65! The game didn't even tell me! XD

Replaying old classical matches with the squads would be great, but I don't want to stress you guys on having to build squads.

National teams could be nice, even if you don't have all of them in the game, you could just easily create one in Create A Team, perhaps by an option of making it national, and with the national on, instead of the players you transfer to it leaving the other team, you're just calling them up. For example :

Create what type of team?
    Club - If you take the player from the team, he's transfered on to your team and no longer on the old team
    National - You call players up of the nationality - if you create "Canada", for example, the team searches all players of Canadian Nationality and you can pick and choose. Some of these won't have players that are in the game, so you won't be able to create.

All Star
    - You can take any players from any teams and put them on this team, but they'll still be on the old team. For example if I brought Drogba onto this team, he'd still be on Chelsea. This would be used for people who want to create a team of players they'd want, but don't want to take the players off the team.

Well these are probably unwanted but I just thought I'd suggest. As I said I don't want SS to go down the drain and all the quality that's in it - with work it could be one of the best soccer games out there - and with a Manager mode I'd probably play all the time!

Edit : Stealing the crown off me, AD? You gotta catch me first! *runs while holding a laptop and practicing SS*
    FIFA love to hate us - Chelsea FC

Thanks for your thoughts guys. I'm taking it all in.

I do have some ideas on the future of Sensational Soccer although NSS4 comes first of course. Hopefully all will become clear in the not too distant future.