Announcing NSGP - Fastest Racer alive competition
Announcing a new NSGP Competition!
With the 1.34 release, we now have the ability to record offline lap and race times. Using this, I want to propose a new competition to truly discover who is the fastest NSGP Racer Alive! Any racer may participate - the beauty of this as a competition is that timezones and online rules don't matter. People who are in the NSGPOC can use this as a chance to practise and refine their race strategies, while people who can't make the NSGPOC can still regularly participate and be part of a genuine competition. Plus the offline cars are faster, so the races are quicker!
The format of the competition is as follows :
2011 Driver List must be used (can use quick race or a season - your choice).
May choose any driver to replace from the 2011 list - so I expect to see a lot of red bull cars chosen...
Race conditions will be as follows :
Tyres ON (you may use the same tyre type for the entire race, no mandatory tyre use rules)
COM Racers ON
COM Difficulty - Extreme
KERS ON (KERS is quicker in race conditions, and there's no way to police it being off... )
Race Length will match the NSGP OC race lengths. If playing a season, adjust the Options appropriately for each race. So for Bahrain and Australia, it's 15 and 30 laps. Malaysia and China are 20 laps each, Spain is 23 laps, Monaco is 25 laps. I'll copy the list from the NSGPOC schedule shortly. Turning on debug mode is allowed, but ONLY to prevent rain (use CTRL-R). Anything else will be considered cheating and dealt with accordingly. Play nice!
How the competition works :
1. Turn on race logging in the settings.ini file for your NSGP folder.
2. Set up the race as per instructions above.
3. Once your race is complete and the top 10 racers in your race have finished (yes, you need to wait!) press F8. This will take a screenshot of your finishing position. Please also save your replay by starting the replay and THEN Pressing F1. Note that this is different to the online save method.
4. Email the race result .csv (in your Replays folder) and your screenshot (in your screenshots folder) to email@example.com. Only one entry per person is allowed, so once you've submitted, you can't submit an improved race. If your run is as a quick race, state in your email which driver you were. Do not edit the .csv file yourself!
5. I've built a tool that can take the race results and merge them into a simulated race file, to compare lap and race times for all players (fun with spreadsheets, yay!). After every week, I will write up a simulated race and rank all racers. Note that the tool also has a number of anti-cheat mechanisms in it, in case the results have been doctored (also, we are relying on an honesty system here!). If any of the results seem suspicious, you will be asked to submit your replay file as an extra verification step (that's also in the Replays folder). Failure to produce a replay to back up your times will result in a DQ.
Scoring will be based on the standard F1 top-10 rankings ie.
In addition, there are Bonus points for the top 3 lap times
Person with fastest lap - 3
Person with next fastest lap - 2
Person with next fastest lap - 1
Race Schedule :
Race schedule will follow the NSGPOC Championship dates. All entries for a particular week must be submitted before the starting race time of the NSGPOC race that week (ie. 1000BST on the Saturday race day). However, as the NSGPOC has already started, the following dates apply for the first rounds :
Bahrain and Australia - 1/1/2012 1000BST
Malaysia and China - 4/1/2012 1000BST
Spain and Monaco - 7/1/2012 1000BST (NSGP race start time)
Future races will match the NSGPOC start times.
If you're competing in this competition, please leave a message below with your Offline Racer name and Nationality. Then boot up NSGP, go race 15 laps on Bahrain and 30 laps on Australia, and email your results up to firstname.lastname@example.org. It's that easy!
Any questions, put them below.
Sample Race Entry
Racer Name : Spin Dizzy
Nationality : Australian
you say "COM Racers ON", but in offline mode you can't turn them OFF. i think it would be nice to enforce Extreme level, so that the COM racers are not just spectators.
Yep - I realised that, updated the post to reflect this.
Racer Name : Peter Santamaria-Woods
Nationality : Indian
First results received for Bahrain! The battle is on!
Entry details tweaked - anyone else going to jump in on this idea?
1. you could fix the race schedule, as it is too small to read (why not make it a regular image instead of an attachment?)
2. you could post best laptimes/total times to date, so we know what are we up against (of course, do not publish screenshots or csv, cause they could serve as cheat help).
i got my bhr ready for upload, just have to make australia, which has been a total failure, it starts raining all the time for me. once when it didn't, i hit a wall and gazed at the screen in confusion for a couple of seconds, so the race was ruined too .
It's a good idea but i'm still arguing with myself about if i'm going to enter or not.
Last time i raced the offline car it made me slow online ...
Yeah... Weather is a little frustrating for this - it would be really nice if there was a switch to turn off rain!
Also another gotcha - be careful if you're doing multiple runs using quick race. The .csv will overwrite your last run if it's done on the same day and the same track. If you do a really good time, you might want to move or rename the .csv before having another crack at it.
If F1 doesn't work offline how do i save my replay?
Start the replay, then hit F1 to save. The thing is you have to save it from the replay, not from the race.