Thread: Crash - EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION

Default Crash - EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION

I have Windows XP sp3, ATI Radeon 4850.

I recently purchased the game via Steam, but I'm unable to get it to work. This crash occurs after selecting video options after launching, then quick race, then race, then Easy. Every time I select "Easy" it immediately crashes to desktop with a dialog box stating "EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION".

I saw some posts relating to this message on the Steam forums, although they seemed to be coming from users of Windows 7. I attempted the suggestions I saw there - I added "Super Laser Racer.exe" as an exception to DEP, and I edited the Engine.ini file to point the saveloc to a different location (actually several different locations, one at a time). None of these seemed to solve the problem.

I saw another post, mentioning setting the debug variable to 1 in the settings.ini file, in order to get a log file. It doesn't seem to generate one though, even if I do a search on "super laser racer" on my whole system, I can't find it.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Default Correction

My mistake, I have two systems and I forget which hardware is in each one - the crash is occurring on a system with an Nvidia Geforce 9800, not an ATI Radeon 4850.

Quote Originally Posted by wchose View Post
    ...setting the debug variable to 1 in the settings.ini file, in order to get a log file. It doesn't seem to generate one though, even if I do a search on "super laser racer" on my whole system, I can't find it.
    According to that developer advice, the log is supposed to be Debug.log file in your Program Files/Super Laser Racer. Instead of a search on "super laser racer", did you try to find something like that?

Sorry for the late reply wchose - I was out of town last week. Are you running an English version of Windows? What's the location of your Documents folder (where you should see the Super Laser Racer save files)?

I have the same issue except the game doesn't even boot for me.
    It shows the NSS logo and then I get the same error.
    Thought I'd add that I'm also on a 9800 gt.

Are you using the Steam version?
    E Pluribus Unum

Yeah, using English language and no resolutions windowed or unwindowed appear to work.
    EDIT: Scratch that it appears to have been a driver issue (how embrassment).
    thanks for the speedy reply.